Tuesday, June 25, 2013

The Hidden Occult - Part One

This is the first in a series of posts I will be writing concerning the overindulgence in mix and match magic for some of today's magickal practitioners -- to the determent of their practice.

I go subrosa for 10 days and the world can't find itself with two hands and a flashlight. The world or should I say its inhabitants, are spinning faster and faster, grasping at the golden ring of knowledge just outside of reach of their fingertips, but like the Red Queen from Alice in Wonderland, the faster they move, the less they accomplish.  People, listen up. It works likes this - both in the mundane world and the metaphysical world. You can't be good at two things. You might be okay at one and slightly better at another, but you will never be great at both.

Mozart wrote music - not street signage and music, not novels and music. Just music. Great, big archipelagos of music that shook the world to its roots and gave way to modern musical standards. Shakespeare wrote plays, sonnets and poems (pages and Pages and PAGES of stuff and who knows how much he tossed out before he got to the main course of his work? )  that continue to be expressed in a myriad of methods, ways and interpretations to this very minute.

Picasso painted with such fury that NO ONE in the art world has come close to his capacity and creativity in all the time he's been gone. And even more remarkable is the fact that EVERYONE in the art world agrees -- and that says something, cause they usually can't even look at one another across a street, let alone agree on something this big.

And now -- its the Occultists. Who's got the bigger game going on; who's conjuring tough, meaner, leaner spirits. Who's f***ing Babylon every night of the week, because they've conjured/aspected/gotten possessed or gotten their partner possessed by her/he/it/whatever. Who's throwing roots, casting circles, calling up demons, throwing down with angels and wrestling with the Devil at the Crossroads.

Excuse me while I take a shot of Nyquil to clear my addled head. I thought being an Occultist meant being "withdrawn". Isn't that what the word means? Occult - 'hidden'? And what is hidden is often of great power and importance? So why is everyone and their brother dragging the secrets of the Occult out kicking and screaming into the light of day, then wondering why their magic isn't working? Or better still, why are people treating magic like some kind of daily exercise that needs to be worked at, so their magical muscles expand into something grand and glorious.

It seems to me that the more you work at something the better you get -- but magic isn't like that. Not the magic I learned and practice. I was taught by four very competent magicians. I usually don't drag my pedigree out but it bears showing off here so everyone knows where I am coming from. I am a Magus in the Servants of the Light School, a direct initiate of Dolores Ashcroft-Nowicki, and third in line from Dion Fortune herself (yeah I am that old, just keep walking...). I am also a Mambo Asogwe in Haitian Vodou and the daughter of Gro Mambo Shakmah Winddrum of Philadelphia. And I am the granddaughter of Bon Houngan Edgar Jean Loius of Belair and Bon Houngan Lazireau Lerine of LaFond, Haiti.

And what I learned was this - to trust the universe and work with the elements. To go with the flow and not be a dam to the forces in the world. To put my magic in motion and then to set it free. Let go. Trust. In other words, get out of the way. When I hear about days of evocation and hours of oration, I can't help but feel that the individual is spending all their energy on the wrong thing. Same thing goes for the free spirited soul who just willy-nilly tosses their stuff to the winds without any forethought.

Magic is a subtle and subdued art. To really be a magician, is to become one with the universe. Literally, it's that simple. You don't need pounds of incense, fancy robes or inscribed Spirit vesssels to do real magic. Dolores always said you could do magic in the desert naked if you had to. A dear friend says everything you really need in life, you should be able to carry in two hands at a dead run. I say, combine the two, and you've got the idea.

If everything in magic proceeds from within yourself, then how much/many/ more items are needed to gain the ring of enlightenment? No one loves a magical event more than mwen. I spent a decade doing Big Events with Dolores all over the country.And even after all of those, she would always remark to me that next time, it was to be a chalice and a paten and nothing else. After nearly 30 years with her, I couldn't agree more.

So I will be blogging about Naked Magic this summer. How to mix it up without a lot of stuff. And what bears repeating and what can just be let go. Time to clear out the magical trunk. Stay tuned.


No comments: