Thursday, September 18, 2014

The Close of Kanzo and the Days of Cyprian

We celebrated the close of the Kanzo cycle last weekend. Desounen is really supposed to happen 41 days following the Kanzo, but with the sosyete's membership spread out over the entire USA, it take s a bit to get it all down right.  We flew to Seattle for the EBC, but did a sweet service there to consecrate a new temple, celebrate a new kanzo child, and help friends get in the groove of the work. Our Kanzo is complete, and now its writing season. I am hoping my article in the new anthology of African Religious experience is out soon (that was only three years in the making.) And I just finished a second article for a another scholarly collection. I am hoping these and other writings will begin to shed new light on Vodou as a faith of depth and breadth in the religious academic arena.

In other news, our online class is percolating along just fine. If you are interested in signing up, registration is still open for the Four Circles. The class runs through the end of November, with 2-1/2 hours of protected video, a lively discussion board, and of course, the requisite weekly video of yours truly sharing insights, answering questions and keeping the class entertained (which is what I feel my real job is anyway...)

Pumpkin season is around the corner, which means - Fet Ghede is coming back soon. But before Fet Ghede, we are currently in the days of Cyprian. St. Cyprian of Antioch was the sorcerer turned martyr; his 'days' as they are called lie between September 16 and September 23rd.  I am doing a novena to Cyprian each night, and I will share my insights when I am done. Last year, I did the 9 invocations, and saw an increase in our work efforts, my writing projects and Don's health. I am hoping to repeat that with the Novena again this year.  If you would like to join me, then light 3, 6 or 9 candles in purple or gold to Cyprian.

Today is Day 2 of the Novena. The prayer is as follows:

"Saint Cyprian, I ask that you protect me from all evil spells that are made against me,that you keep away all temptation and that my enemies  may be confused and kept far away. I pray that my supplications may be attended to help obtain security and prosperity in Jesus Christ. Amen, Ashe, Ayibobo."

Cyprian has enjoyed a resurgence on the Internet, but he has always been a Catholic saint. Some of you may be uncomfortable with Christianity and Catholicism. The Church as certainly done its fair share of work to deserve enmity. If you feel uncomfortable, then please don't do this - there' s more than one way to find protection in this world. Cyprian is simply one.

Meanwhile, for those who do want to engage the sorcerer saint, then set out your candles, say the prayer and pay attention to your dreams. Just like the Lwa, the saint plays his role in dream time, and will deliver messages, advice and blessings there. Then, watch for the changes as they happen in your own life.

Some excellent books on Cyprian can be had for a pittance. The first one (which is where I got my Novena prayers) is here on Etsy: Polyphanes

Jake Stratton Kent's excellent book on Cyprian is from Scarlet Imprint

A collection of excellent prayers (for free!) can be found here: Cyprian Prayers

And finally, a friend who works regularly with Cyprian offered his prayer here: Inominandum

I am currently writing about egregores, in particular egregores in Vodou, but Cyprian is enjoying a big push in his egregore right now. I would advise engaging with this energy ray - you don't need to do anything other than read the prayers. Leave off the candles if that is not within your ability right now. But read the prayers, and see if you can't get old Cyprian to turn his wise and generous gaze upon you and your affairs. I'll bet you will find that things will change for the better.

Ashe!







No comments: