Tuesday, February 19, 2013

My Vodou Lenten Meditation - Day Seven of Forty


Today is Papa Don's birthday. I have been wishing him a happy birthday for 30 years now. Doesn't really seem all that long. He left for work this morning with his usual smiles and hugs. I am a lucky girl for having him in my life.

I met Don on a blind date. Yes, those things do happen and yes, sometimes, serendipity goes along for the ride. We met in June, started dating in September and he asked me to marry him 30 years ago on this date. It was in a small tavern in Vermont - we were skiing for the weekend. The entire bar went silent, as he got down on one knee and popped the question. No pressure there! When I said yes, we drank for free for the rest of the night.

So as I said my prayers this morning, I thanked Legba for opening the door for us to meet. After all, Don is from Florida. I was living in Connecticut. What were the chances that a Southern boy and a Northern girl would get together, much less stay married for 30 years?

I could feel Legba smiling. I am a risk taker. Not one for letting a chance go by to experience something, I always jump first and asked later. Don is a risk taker, too, but he likes to hedge the bet, as he says. So it's a good match -- the free wheeling crazy artist paired with the critical thinker/analyst.

There was a TV commercial for Hertz rental cars that pretty much sums up our relationship (and we did go to Mexico for our Honeymoon, and experienced this for real, too...):


Today, as I sat with the drums and Legba, I am grateful to have my Brake. Otherwise, I am sure I'd have gone off the cliff by now. And I would not be here, writing about it for all of you. Ayibobo.

No comments: